photo space_zpsab443ffb.png photo ootd_zpsvmcsbmod.jpg photo youtube_zpsl7hdozar.jpg photo 88_zpsqoko5stl.jpg photo midnight_zpsssf1cubd.jpg photo home_zpsh9wc5ewz.jpg

Friday, October 11, 2019

J'Aime l'Autisme at Vancouver Fashion Week

So excited to finally share with you all my school project that got selected to be showcased in Vancouver Fashion Week this year! Aaaaaaaakkkk!

This collection titled "J'Aime l'Autisme" is my personal tribute to my autistic son, Shahmeer. When I was working on this project, I wanted my first collection to define me on what kind of a fashion designer I want to be now and in the future. I have always wanted to create an impact, and impact through fashion is generally nowadays seen when we create clothes that are sustainable, eco-friendly. But that touches on functional aspects only. What about emotional impact? Clothes that actually speak, have powerful meanings and can raise awareness for the good? And so I started off from there. Why not raise awareness about autism since the society is still very much uninformed about it. To start a dialogue. To shed some light. And why the blue face, you wonder? You know when they say “you argue until you’re blue in the face”? That’s how I think autistic people feel when being misunderstood or not understood at all. Everything in this collection symbolizes something. The heart swimsuits act as their second skin in which all they have is LOVE. The loose tulle clothes represents their rawness and bareness, nothing to hide. Long gloves with no fingers to show how they are unable to carry out daily tasks as easy as other people. And many more.

The piano music was composed by my dearest friend, Didiet. We cooked this together on a casual Saturday. The piano piece is literally an interpretation of Shahmeer’s emotions; happy and light but deep and sometimes angry.

And there you have it! I hope you LOVE the collection as much as I do. My husband and I hugged so much watching this show together online. My heart is full with warmth. I love you, Shahmeer! 💖

Special thanks to my fashion school Swiss Mode for the great mentoring and support on this project, and Vinka Maharani for knitting the gloves that turned out PERFECT!

Till my next collection! Cheerrrrssssss 🍻💖🌈🥰


No comments:

Blogging tips